AVM Fritz Box Router Setup for Smart DNS Proxy
Following setup instructions is only needed one time. Once you finish the initial setup you won't be needing to take the same steps anytime. Your connection will work automatically *anytime! These instructions show the menus in the English language. As this router is very popular in Germany, we have also given the respective German terms here in square brackets.
* Instructions are based on the FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
1. Open Router Administration Page. Usually http://192.168.178.1
2. Enter Your password if you have one. The default password is printed on the label under the router.
3. Make sure you have "Advanced" [Erweitert] view activated. The current setting can be found on the bottom left of the screen: "View: Advanced" [Ansicht: Erweitert]. If it says "View: Standard" you can click on the word "Standard" to switch to "Advanced" mode. Alternately, you can click on the hamburger menu at the top right and then activate "Advanced View" [Erweiterte Ansicht]
4. Click on "Internet" on the left, "Type of Connection" [Zugangsart] and then click on the "DNS- Server" tab.
5. Under DNSv4 Servers, click on "Use other DNSv4 servers" [Andere DNSv4-Server verwenden] and fill in both DNS Server fields with the Smart DNS Proxy IPs from the list.
The list of IP addresses of our DNS severs can be found on our DNS Server List here:
Use the closest DNS servers to your physical location. Select the closest server to your physical location as Primary. Then select the 2nd closest server to your physical location as Secondary server.
In our example, we selected Germany: 188.8.131.52 and UK: 184.108.40.206 6. Click on "Apply" [Übernehmen]
7. Click on "System" on the left, "Backup" [Sicherung] and then click on the "Restart" [Neustart] tab.
8. Click on the Restart [Neu starten] button. The router will now restart, note that any active Internet and telephone connections will be lost until the router has restarted (can take up to about 5 minutes)
* Remember whenever your PC/Router IP changes, our service will stop working for you. You will need to LOGIN to Smart DNS Proxy and UPDATE your IP address. So our system will check your IP address and add your new IP to our database. Then you will be able to continue using our service. If this is the first time you setup, we also suggest you to login with your PC to our site from the same Wired/Wireless network to show our system your IP address.
In order to automate this process, please perform the following additional steps:
9. After the router has restarted, login to your router again as explained in 1 and 2, above.
10. If you have not setup a MyFritz! account, do so now and make sure your router is connected to it. you can do that here: https://sso.myfritz.net/
11. Click on "Internet" on the left, "MyFRITZ!Account" [MyFRITZ!-Konto]
12. If your MyFritz! account has been setup correctly; your individual address can now be found on the "Your MyFRITZ! address" line. Select the entire entry and copy it.
e.g. "5gljskt56f5gestt.myfritz.net" – this code will be different for you. Do not use the version that starts with “https://”
13. Go to https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/MyAccount/Profile and paste the entry you just copied into the "Dynamic DNS Host Name (optional)" field and then click on the "Update my Profile button.
14: Go to your MyAccount page and check you have 4 green ticks. If not, check that you have deactivated IPv6 on your computer and that you rebooted your router and your computer.
If you have setup the automatic DNS setting, this is confirmed at the bottom:
You are all done! :)
* Remember whenever your PC/Router IP changes, our service will stop working for you. You will need to LOG INTO Smart DNS Proxy and UPDATE your IP address so that our system can check your IP address and add your new IP to our database. Then, you will be able to continue using our service. If this is the first time you set up, we also suggest that you log in with your PC to our site from the same Wired/Wireless network to show our system your IP address and activate it in your account.