VPN Setup for Mikrotik : PPTP Protocol
PPTP setup for MIKROTIK
Once logged in, click on the "PPP" tab on the left-side menu. You should have the "Interface" tab open. Now click on the “+” sign and select "PPTP Client"
(Please make sure you enter the correct details in the appropriate fields. Use the images as guides also)
This new window that you've opened is where you'll create your PPTP VPN connection. Please edit the settings as follows:
- Name: In this field, you can enter anything you like, for example "pptp-out1".
- Max MTU and Max MRU: 1490
- When you're done, please click on the "Dial Out" tab (right next to the "General" tab).
Now in the "Dial Out" tab, edit the settings as explained below:
Connect To: Pick any VPN server IP that you want to connect to e.g.: uk-lon1.serverlocation.co (you can find all our global VPN network addresses here : http://support.smartdnsproxy.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1907772-vpn-server-locations-addresses)
User: VPN account username
Password: Type your special PPTP password.
Allow: Leave only maschap1 and mschap2 authentication methods checked.
Click on "OK" when you're done. (Please double-check all settings before clicking "OK")
Now please go to the "IP" tab on the left-side bar and select "Firewall". Click on the "NAT" tab and then click on sign”+”, as shown below.
You should be in the "General" settings now so please carry out the following:
- In "Chain", select "srcnat" from the drop down menu
- In "Out. Interface", select the name of the pptp-out1 connection you just created.
- Click on the "Action" tab when you're done.
- In the "Action" field, select "Masquerade" from the drop down menu.
- Click "OK" when you're done.
Now that you're back to the "Firewall" window, click on the "Mangle" tab, click on the “+” sign:
- In "Chain", select "prerouting" from the drop down menu.
- In "Src. Adress", enter the IP range you want to have routed through the VPN connection. To
route all IPs in the Mikrotik routers subnet (assuming the router is 192.168.88.1), enter
- When you're done, click on the "Action" tab
Now that you're in the "Action" tab, please edit the settings as explained below:
- In the "Action" field, select "mark routing"from the drop-down menu.
- In the "New Routing Mark" field, enter any name for the routing mark, e.g. "vpn"
- Check "Passthrough" option.
- Click "OK", when you're done.
Now, click on "IP" (in the left side menu). In the "Routes List" window, click on "Routes" and then click on the “+” sign.
Dst. Address: has to be "0.0.0.0/0"
Gateway: Enter the name of the VPN connection you created. (in this case it's "pptp-out1") from the drop down menu.
Routing Mark: Select the routing mark you created before. (e.g. "vpn")
Click "OK" when you're done.
Finally, you can check your new location by navigating to http://whatismyipaddress.com/