VPN Setup for Ubuntu : OpenVPN Protocol
Below you will find Ubuntu OpenVPN setup instructions for Smart DNS Proxy VPN network.
OpenVPN Setup Instructions for Ubuntu - Smart DNS Proxy VPN
Before configuration you should install network-manager-openvpn package.
1. Click the Network icon on your panel > Configure VPN
2. Click Add > OpenVPN
3. Check authentication type “Password” and fill in the "Connection Name" as any friendly name you like; i.e."SmartDNSProxy VPN". Enter server network address you want to connect to "Gateway" and your VPN account username/password to "User name". Be sure to leave the password field empty. Select file with CA Certificate. You can download CA Certificate here.
4. Click Advanced:
- Check "Use custom gateway port" and enter the port number 1194 (recommended), 443, 80 or 53.
- Check “Use custom renegotiation interval” and enter the number 0.
- Check "Use LZO data compression".
- Check "Use a TCP connection" – this is not recommended because have huge impact on internet speed.
Save the configuration and back out of the menus.
5. Click the NetworkManager icon, and disable and then re-enable networking to force a configuration reload.
Click NetworkManager again, then VPN Connections, nl-am2.serverlocation.co to start a connection. Enter your password when prompted.
And you should now be connected! You can verify your new IP and location with https://www.whatismyip.com/